HOW TO EARN YOUR TEACHING CERTIFICATION IN ARIZONA
Interested in teaching in the state of Arizona? With a Bachelor’s degree and a desire to make a difference, the Arizona Center for Teacher Preparation can help you achieve your dream.
WHAT MAKES THE AZCTP DIFFERENT?
The Arizona Center for Teacher Preparation, also known as AZCTP, offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certification in Arizona. You can complete our program in 1-2 years for less than $3500. Compare the cost of our program to the cost of taking 25-30 credit hours at a state university and it’s no competition.
Plus, we have our students mentor with experienced teachers during their first year of teaching. Having a pro that’s taught before as a resource for help and inspiration makes the transition into full-time teaching smooth.
In order to enroll with the Arizona Center for Teacher Preparation, you will need to meet and fulfill the following requirements:
1. Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or be within 6 months of earning your degree. This degree does not need to be in the subject you wish to teach.
2. Pass a background check. This will be similar to the background check the Arizona Department of Education will conduct on you before employment.
3. Submit your college/university transcripts to AZCTP once enrolled in the program.
CLASSROOM QUALIFIER PROGRAM
Once you meet the Arizona Center for Teacher Preparation’s teaching requirements, you will be able to enroll in our Classroom Qualifier Program.
About the Program
-The Classroom Qualifier Program is self-paced, meaning you can complete the program at your own pace. You can finish the program in 1 month or in 11, it all depends on how much time you can dedicate to studying. You will have 1 year maximum to complete the program.
-The program is online, meaning you can study anywhere. We have even had students complete the program overseas! You will be able to print out study materials as needed.
-The program will let you know when you’re ready to test. The Classroom Qualifier Program includes practice tests that will indicate whether it’s time to take your exam.
-In order to earn your certification, you will need to pass the Professional Teaching Knowledge (PTK) exam. This exam will consist of 100 multiple choice questions and a writing component. All AZCTP exams are proctored at Pearson VUE testing centers. Click here to find the testing center nearest you.
Once enrolled, you will need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and request proof of enrollment. You will submit this to the Arizona Department of Education when applying for a teaching position.
ARIZONA STATE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the AZCTP Classroom Qualifier program and exam, the state of Arizona requires that you complete the following requirements before you can apply for a teaching position:
1. Take the National Evaluation Series (NES) exam in the subject you wish to teach.
You can take the NES exam before or after taking the AZCTP PTK exam, but will need a passing score before applying for a teaching position with the Arizona Department of Education.
This test is separate from AZCTP. It will be your responsibility to schedule, pay for, study for, and take the NES exam. Visit the NES website for more information or refer to our Frequently Asked Questions for a list of subjects to test in.
2. Complete the first 45 hours of the Structured English Immersion (SEI) program. This program is used in all public schools across the state and will help you teach English Language Learners, or children that are not fluent in English.
Again, this program is separate from AZCTP and can be completed before or after completing the PTK exam. See the Arizona Department of Education’s website for information on how to enroll in this program.
3. Submit your IVP fingerprint card, college transcripts, proof of AZCTP enrollment, application, and fee to the Arizona State Department of Education.
TEACHING AND MENTORSHIP
Once you have met all of the requirements above, passed the PTK and NES exams, and have completed 45 hours of the SEI program, you will be able to apply for a teaching position in the state of Arizona. The state also requires new teachers to complete a mentorship program through AZCTP, known as the Employed Mentorship program. The program requires the following steps:
1. Obtain a teaching position in an Arizona public school through the Arizona Department of Education. You will begin teaching on the Arizona 1-year Teaching Intern Certification. This certification can be renewed one time if needed (see #4 for an example).
2. Contact AZCTP at email@example.com notifying us of your new position. We will work with your new school to arrange your mentorship program.
3. Begin teaching.
4. Throughout the course of your first year of teaching, you will need to complete 6 classroom observation sessions with your mentor (an experienced co-worker). Your mentor will sit in on your class and observe, take notes, and provide you with feedback on your teaching style.
If you begin teaching in the middle of the school year, you will be required to complete 2 additional classroom observation sessions with your mentor. For example, if you begin teaching in January, you will complete 2 observations that semester, then complete the remaining 6 observations throughout the next August – May school year. You will be able to teach on an Intern Certification throughout this process.
UPGRADING YOUR TEACHING LICENSE
In order to upgrade your Teaching Intern Certification into a Provisional 3-year Teaching certification from the state of Arizona, you will need to complete the following:
a. Pass the PTK exam and finish your mentorship program through AZCTP
c. Complete an online course on the U.S. Constitution through an Arizona college or university*. This is an Arizona state requirement.
d. Elementary Education teachers must complete an online Phonics course through an Arizona college or university*.
e. Social Studies teachers must complete an online World History course through an Arizona college or university*.
Once you have finished all of these requirements, you will apply to the AZCTP for your Institutional Recommendation (IR) form. This form will be our recommendation to the Arizona Department of Education that you are ready for your Provisional 3-year Teaching Certification. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request this form.
After upgrading to a Provisional certification, you will need to teach for at least 2 years before applying for your Standard Teaching License. This license will need to be renewed every 6 years with the Arizona Department of Education throughout the rest of your career.
*Contact the Arizona Department of Education for information on which college courses are accepted to fulfill these requirements.
Read answers to our most Frequently Asked Questions.
Call 1-877-669-2228 (Option 1) to speak with a representative of the Arizona Center for Teacher Preparation/American Board for answers to any questions you may have.
Or, email us at email@example.com.